Medical Executive Committee
What Can the Medical Executive Committee Do for You?
The Medical Executive Committee (MEC) acts as a representative of the medical staff. The committee proposes change and enacts policies, procedures, and other items in an effort to improve patient care and medical staff structure.
Who is on the Committee?
Swedish Medical Center’s Medical Executive Committee is comprised of the four department chairs (surgery, internal medicine, family medicine, and women’s/children’s) in addition to the Quality Management Executive Committee Chair, President-Elect, President, and Past President.
Foremost, we strive to preserve and continually enhance the quality and safety of patient care at Swedish Medical Center. The Medical Executive Committee (MEC) also endeavors to develop initiatives that allow Swedish to remain on the cutting edge of medical treatments, and to adapt and excel in response to the ever-changing external forces that affect hospital-based patient care and physician practice. We will do our utmost to support members of our Medical Staff and serve as a liaison between physicians and hospital Administration. We believe that engagement of the Medical Staff is critical in achieving these goals, and that the Staff’s contributions are vital to shaping change and cultivating a practice environment in which physicians thrive and patient care is optimized.
Committee Duties and Responsibilities
- Represent and act for the Medical Staff in the interval between Medical Staff meetings
- Providing for current Medical Staff Bylaws, rules and regulations, and Medical Staff policies, subject to the approval of the Board.
- Providing liaison and communication with all levels of Hospital governance and administration with regard to policy decisions affecting patient care services.
- Collaborate with other leaders of the organization in Hospital planning.
- Review the qualifications, evidence of current competence, and the recommendations of a Department Chairperson and the Credentials Committee for each individual applying for Medical Staff membership or clinical privileges, and make recommendations for appointment, reappointment, staff category, assignment to Departments and Sections, clinical privileges, and any disciplinary actions.
- Organizing the Medical Staff’s quality assessment and performance improvement activities and establishing a mechanism designed to conduct, evaluate, and revise such activities.
- Conduct and supervise Medical Staff Peer Review activities.
- Receive and act on reports and recommendations from Medical Staff committees, Departments, and assigned activity groups, specifically as related to Medical Staff quality assessment and performance improvement activities.
- Make recommendations directly to the Board of Trustees.
Dr. Tom Thomas
Dr. Mark Kozlowski
President-Elect, Credentials Committee Chair
Dr. Patty Howell
Immediate Past President, Quality Management Executive Committee Chair
Dr. Brad Winslow
Family Medicine Chair
Dr. Ira Chang
Internal Medicine Chair
Dr. D. Sue Slone
Dr. Nancy Germer
Women’s and Children’s Chair
Dr. Jeanne Seibert
Hospital Professional Review Committee Chair
Chief Financial Officer
Paul Hancock, M.D.
Chief Medical Officer
Chief Nursing Officer
Chief Operating Officer
Medical Staff Director
Vice President, Physician Services