Pastoral Care at Swedish
To help care for our patients' spiritual needs, specially trained chaplains are available at Swedish. They are available to support you and your loved ones in your spirituality and faith in the midst of whatever circumstances have brought you to the hospital.
Patients and their loved ones are welcome to contact a chaplain for a variety of services by using the phone numbers listed below, Monday through Friday from 7:00am - 8:00pm, or by asking your nurse to contact Pastoral Care. A chaplain is available at all times for emergency needs as well and your nurse can contact the on-call chaplain as needed.
To reach a chaplain at Swedish from 7:00am - 4:00pm Monday through Friday, please call (303) 788-6232 or ext. 6232 from any hospital phone. From 4:00pm - 8:00pm Monday though Friday and on weekends and holidays, please dial "0" to reach the hospital operator and ask to be connected to the "on-call chaplain."
- Listening with compassion to your concerns.
- Support when you feel afraid or anxious, such as before surgery.
- Help sorting out issues when you need to make important decisions about treatment and/or Advance Directives.
- Consideration of comfort care.
- Help in contacting your own clergy or spiritual leader.
- Help for patients from all faiths in accessing sacraments or rituals that are part of your faith practice.
- Inspirational, devotional literature and Care Notes for your situation.
- Consolation when you are grieving a loss. Support in saying good-bye to your loved one.
- Assistance in making arrangements after a death.
- Directs patients and visitors to local Sunday and weekday worship services.
Swedish offers a one-year, ACPE Accredited, Clinical Pastoral Education Residency.
Chaplain Volunteer Program
Do you have a heart to serve others during a crisis situation? If so, consider becoming a Chaplain Volunteer. At Swedish, our Chaplaincy team works directly with patients and their families dealing with life altering situations and diagnoses. They are here to provide support, comfort and faith during these difficult and stressful times. We are looking for volunteers who are willing to do routine visits and respond to emergencies when a Chaplain is needed.
This position is primarily for weekday evenings beginning at 4:00pm and volunteers must be on-call overnight during the week for emergencies. Candidates must be able to volunteer at least once a month and there is no limit to how many times a month you can sign up.
To apply, please contact our Director of Chaplaincy, Dean Dyk.