Are You a Candidate for Weight-Loss Surgery?
Determining if bariatric surgery is right for you depends on several factors, including:
Body Mass Index (BMI)
It is important to note that your BMI score is a starting point for you and your doctor. In some cases, this number may not be completely reliable and additional tests may need to be performed. However, in general, a patient with a BMI of 30 or higher and who is 60 to 100 pounds overweight is a good candidate for weight-loss surgery.
A weight-loss treatment plan that incorporates surgery requires significant commitment from the patient. Weight-loss surgery is not a quick-fix to your weight problems. Rather, it is the first step in a lifelong weight-loss journey. This journey includes a great deal of work from the patient through diet modification and exercise.
The following are additional requirements that Swedish's Denver Bariatric Surgery Center follows to ensure you are ready for surgery:
- You are at least 18 years or older
- You have been unable to lose weight through traditional means of weight loss, such as diet and exercise
- Your surgeon, primary care physician, psychiatrist, medical specialists and the bariatric team agree this surgery is the best option for you
- You are ready to commit to making this journey successful and living a healthy lifestyle
- You are well-informed of the benefits, risks and complications that are associated with bariatric surgery