Prior to your sleep study, you will be asked to complete this Sleep Disorders Center questionnaire (pdf). The information below addresses commonly asked questions about undergoing an overnight sleep study at The Sleep Disorders Center. Please review the information and if you have any additional questions, please contact us between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at 303-788-8352.
- If you need to cancel for any reason, please call 303-788-8352 a minimum of 48 hours in advance to avoid incurring any charges.
- The office (303-788-8352) is open Monday - Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The night staff does not have ability to schedule appointments, help with CPAP, or order and refill prescriptions.
- If sleepiness has been a problem while involved in driving or other potentially hazardous activities, we advise that you avoid those activities until your sleepiness has been resolved with treatment.
- If you are on continues oxygen use, please bring at least 2 hours worth so transportation to and from the hospital will not be an issue. The hospital has its own oxygen supply, and you will not need to use your own oxygen during the study.
Where to Go:
Check in with hospital admitting 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. Admitting is located on the ground floor just inside the Emergency Room entrance off Girard Street. Please see map for details. Overnight parking is available in the parking garage adjacent to the Emergency Room. Note: You must check in with ER admitting area prior to going to the Sleep Disorders Center.
Once you have been admitted, you will be directed to have a seat, and someone from the Sleep Disorders Center will come to escort you to your room.
The Sleep Study:
The technologist will explain all procedures that will be completed for your study. It will take approximately one hour to apply the sensors. Procedures will include the following:
- Electrodes will be placed on your scalp, temple, and chin region to monitor brainwaves and muscle movement during sleep.
- A snore sensor will be placed on your neck. EKG wires will be attached to monitor your heart.
- Two belts will be placed on your abdomen to monitor your breathing.
- Two leads will be placed on your legs to monitor their movement.
- An oxygen sensor will be placed on your finger to monitor oxygen levels throughout the night.
- An air sensor will be placed by your nose to monitor your breathing during the night. These sensors do not limit your mobility in bed, and are not obtrusive.
During the study, the technologist will be available and can be summoned by an intercom device to assist you at any time. Patients can be disconnected, with assistance, from the monitoring equipment anytime throughout the night if they need to use the bathroom. Your study will be completed by 6 a.m., and you will be free to depart at this time.
If there is a possibility of a CPAP or BiPAP machine being used during the study, the technologist will explain that process to you during a trial demonstration. If you have questions, please call our office during business hours 303-788-8352.
THIS IS A NO SMOKING FACILITY
You will not be permitted to smoke at any time, either after checking into the sleep lab or during your study. If you believe this will cause you difficulty during your stay, please discuss nicotine replacement options with your primary care physician. Please be advised you may want to start your nicotine replacement at least 12 hours before your sleep study.
If you require ANY assistance with daily activities or tasks, please call our office several days prior to the study so special arrangements can be made. The technologists are not nurses and cannot provide help with medications, nutrition, mobility or personal hygiene.
Preparing for your sleep study:
- Do not consume any caffeine (coffee, tea, cocoa, or chocolate) after 12 noon the day of your test.
- Do not consume any alcohol the day of your test.
- Do not take any naps.
- Maintain your regular daytime schedule as much as possible.
- Your hair should be clean (washed the day of the study or the night before - please do not use any hairspray, gel, or other hair care products as electrodes will be placed on your scalp. Refrain from having your hair styled close to the date of the study, as hair will be manipulated.
- Please do not wear make-up, if possible. If this is not practical, please be prepared to remove your make-up when you arrive.
- Men, unless you have a beard, please arrive clean-shaven. If you have a beard, we can work around it, but beard stubble is very difficult to work with.
- Hairpieces and hair weaves must be removed. (We must be able to get to your scalp to do the test).
- Eat dinner before arriving.
- If patient is younger than 18, a legal guardian must stay throughout the study
What to bring:
- Bring a list of ALL medications that you are taking. There is a list included in your questionnaire for you to fill out.
- Please bring prescribed medicines with you to your sleep study. The medicines need to be in their original container. You will need to administer your own medication, including insulin.
- Continue to take medications per your doctor's instructions.
- Please pack like you are staying in a hotel for the night - pajamas (cotton is best, shorts and a T shirt are also acceptable) and toiletries.
- You may bring your own pillow.
- You may also want to bring some reading materials. There will be a television in the room.
- You may bring a small snack and decaffeinated beverages if you require, or are diabetic.
- Do not bring large amounts of personal clothing or luggage.
- Do not bring any items of value (e.g. jewelry).
Sleep Study Results:
Your sleep study results will not be immediately available. It takes time to process all the information. You will be contacted after your sleep studyin order to continue the next step in your healthcare.
An additional study, follow-up appointment, a CPAP or BiPAP machine ordered for home use, are all possible outcomes of your sleep study. If a CPAP or BiPAP machine is ordered for you, a homecare company will contact you to arrange set-up on the machine.
Please do not hesitate to call our office at 303-788-8352 if you have any additional questions, or if we can help in any way.