Get Started on Your Weight Loss Journey!
Make an appointment to meet Dr. Tillquist and learn if you’re a candidate for weight-loss surgery. If you are, find out which surgery is best for you. Note: Dr. Tillquist accepts all forms of insurance.
After your initial consultation, you will begin a 3-6 month diet, exercise, and behavior modification program. The goal is to see if a modification program helps you lose the weight prior to surgery. You must complete the program to move forward with bariatric surgery.
Prior to surgery, every patient is required to complete the FREE pre-op class.
Time and Location: Second Sunday of each month from 1 to 5 p.m.
Exceptions: Mother’s Day shifts to first Sunday of the month
Location: Swedish Medical Center, 2nd Floor Conference Center
Registration: Kristi Wade at 303-788-5322 (M-F, 8 AM – 5 PM)
- FREE of cost
- Mandatory to be eligible for surgery
- Taught by a Registered Dietitian
- Family, friends, and/or support person encouraged to attend with participant
- Support group available outside of class – attendance strongly encouraged
Section One: Intro and Purpose
- Provision of educational packet with Dietitian’s contact information
- At least two breaks during class
- Bariatric chairs are available and placed within one to two seats of the beginning of the row for ease of access
- Discussion of the calendar for current year
- Review of goals and objectives
Section Two: Start Your Journey
- Dr. Tillquist's goals for patients – exercise, nutrition tips, etc.
- Shopping Tips – recipes, lists, tools, etc.
- Samples provided for vitamins and minerals
Section Three: Phase I & II
- Phase I: clear liquids (post UGI)
Discussion of hospital bariatric menu
- Phase II: full liquid (10-14 days)
Section Four: Tour
- Tour of 8th floor and room visit
- Review of phases by a nurse
- Post-op discussed
- Nutrition room tour
- Q&A with clinical staff
- Measuring skills activity
Section Five: Phase III - V
- Phase III: Pureed foods (2 weeks)
- Phase IV: Soft diet (1 week)
- Phase V: Regular diet
- Completion of practice menu
Attendees receive copies of goals and objective forms, letter of participation for Dr. Tillquist and insurance company (as needed).
The support group is a safe environment where participants can choose to share as much or as little information about their personal journey. People who are waiting to have surgery or have had surgery are encouraged to attend. Participants may talk about their progress or their concerns about bariatric surgery with the goal of stimulating growth and success. Feel free to share what products are working or not working for you, swap products, and meet new friends! The support group is comprised of real people with real goals and a desire to take control of their lives.
Bariatric patients who have completed surgery attend to encourage those considering surgery to share their own success. Attendance is not mandatory, but participants are always welcome to attend. Attendees do not have to be patients of Dr. Tillquist, however, home support groups are encouraged.
Time & Location: 2nd Monday of each month (the day following Pre-Op class) from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Location: 2nd Floor Conference Center
- Free of cost
- Family, friends, and/or support persons encouraged to attend with participant
- Registered Dietitian facilitates
- Support Group Schedule
- Speaker and Presentation (1 hour)
- Guest speakers present dependent on topic
- Plastic Surgery
- Sleep Hygiene
- Respiratory Function
- Food Demonstration
- Open Forum (1 hour)
Once patients have completed the modification program and the pre-op class, they are required to complete a psychology evaluation. Patients will be referred to specialty physicians by Dr. Tillquist.
The purpose of the evaluation is to make sure the patient may go forward with surgery, they understand all implications, and they are committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes that must be made to make surgery successful.