The cause of Alzheimer disease is not known. Living a healthy lifestyle may help lower the risk. Here are some tips:
- Exercise regularly. Aim for 150 minutes or more of physical activity each week.
- Eat a healthful diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables , grains, beans, seeds, olive oil, and fish.
- Drinking alcohol may help decrease the risk, but it should be used in moderation. This means no more than 1 drink per day for women and 2 drinks per day for men. Drinking too much can increase the risk of dementia.
- Stop smoking.
- Reach or maintain a healthy weight.
- Manage high blood pressure , high cholesterol , and diabetes.
- Cognitive training programs may maintain brain function.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2019 -
- Update Date: 10/09/2019 -