TMD can often be diagnosed based on your symptoms and an exam.
An exam may be normal or may find:
- Jaw or muscle pain
- Muscle spasm at the temporomandibular joint (TMJ)
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds and feelings when you open or close your jaw
- That the jaw or teeth are not in line or get out of place in the jaw
- Problems fully opening the mouth
TMD can be staged based on the number of problems and how severe they are.
There are no tests that diagnose TMD. The doctor may take images to help find problems. This can be done with:
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Daniel A. Ostrovsky, MD
- Review Date: 06/2019 -
- Update Date: 07/29/2019 -