The purpose of screening is to find and treat diseases early. They are given to people who may be at high risk, but who don’t have problems.
Those who are getting tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) should also get tested for HIV.
Others who should be tested:
- All pregnant women.
- People who work in healthcare settings and correctional facilities.
- Men who have sex with other men—Testing once a year for HIV and other STIs.
- Anyone who is at a high risk for getting HIV. This may be:
- People who have many sex partners
- People who engage in certain behaviors during sex
- IV drug users
All people should be tested if they want to.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2018 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2018 -