Advanced treatment of traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries in Denver, Colorado
When a brain or spinal cord injury occurs, time is critical. So is every decision about a patient's care — from the first 24 hours to every second that follows. As a Level I Trauma Center, Swedish Medical Center is recognized as one of the nation's top hospitals for the advanced treatment of traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries. Our team of specialists is on call 24/7 to provide immediate and comprehensive care to patients from the moment they arrive through outpatient care and rehabilitation.
Traumatic brain injury
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurs from a sudden trauma that causes damage in the brain and can range from mild to severe. Examples of situations that can result in a traumatic brain injury include:
- Falling and hitting your head
- Violence (gunshots, domestic or child abuse)
- Vehicle or bicycle accident
- Sports injuries
- Combat injuries
Spinal cord injury
Spinal cord injuries generally happen when a trauma causes vertebrae to dislocate or become fractured, interrupting the communication that travels along the spine between the brain and the rest of the body. These injuries can be a result of:
- Bone disorders (i.e. osteoporosis)
- Joint disorders (i.e. arthritis)
- Vehicle or bicycle accidents
- Accident during high-risk behaviors (diving into a shallow pool, not wearing proper safety gear playing sports)
Delivering specialized, coordinated neurological care
Our team at Swedish takes an interdisciplinary approach to neurological treatment, coordinating the efforts of an entire team of specialists that includes trauma surgeons, orthopedic specialists, physiatry nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, respiratory management specialists and neuropsychologists. This team meets regularly to plan and implement every detail of a patient's care.
As part of the trauma team, both neurosurgeons and spine surgeons are on-call 24/7 and are available to the hospital within 20 minutes. A specialized neuro operating room (OR) team is also on-call for all traumatic brain and spinal cord injury arrivals.
Special care units provide comprehensive brain and spinal cord injury treatment
From arrival through outpatient follow-up, our team of specialists provides care and support in specialized units that are designed to promote optimum results for each patient.
Along with our own special care units, Swedish Medical Center partners with two nearby rehab facilities to provide additional specialized care:
- Spalding Rehabilitation Hospital, located in Aurora, is part of the HealthONE system. Spalding specializes in treating the neurologically injured patient, including stroke and traumatic brain injury patients.
- Craig Hospital, an international leader in rehabilitation of brain and spinal cord injuries, is located adjacent to Swedish Medical Center.
From the initial arrival of a patient with a brain or spinal cord injury, physicians are able to utilize the most advanced technology to treat patients both medically and surgically. For example, Swedish is equipped with specialized OR equipment specifically designed for the complexities of neurosurgery. This and other leading-edge technology helps save critical time and ensures the utmost accuracy in diagnosing and treating patients.