In partnership with Swedish Medical Center, Oncology Rehab is an outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech language pathology clinic. We specialize in rehabilitation therapy to mitigate the development of long-term abnormities resulting from oncology treatment. Too often, rehabilitation only addresses one symptom, usually lymphedema, and only once the condition fully develops. Early referral and addressing the complete rehabilitation needs of our patients with our unique body-systems approach allows us to treat multiple symptoms and create a plan of care that can mitigate the development of long-term issues, such as:
- Altered cognitive status
- Gait, balance and fall management
- Functional mobility
- Restricted range of motion
- Vestibular issues
While capturing patients early in their cancer treatments is our primary goal—in the acute phase of healing from surgery, during and immediately after radiation, and during and immediately after chemotherapy—the Oncology Rehab center can work with any Swedish oncology patient, with any cancer diagnosis, and in any phase or stage of care. Oncology Rehab can help manage the conditions caused by your cancer treatment, even years after your active treatment.
Do You Need Cancer Rehabilitation?
If you have a cancer diagnosis, ask yourself the following questions to see if cancer rehabilitation is right for you:
- Are you lacking joint range of motion or having pain that may or may not be accompanied by swelling since cancer surgery?
- Are you having trouble getting your energy back or having disproportionate fatigue to your activity level after cancer treatments?
- Are you unsure of how much to safely exercise during or after your cancer treatments?
- Are you unsteady or dizzy with a fear of falling or experiencing numbness or tingling in your feet or hands since chemo treatments?
- Are you experiencing “chemo brain” symptoms, such as difficulty finding words or slowed mental processing?
Cardiovascular Rehabilitation and Exercise Program
Our cardiovascular rehabilitation and exercise program during and after treatment is rooted in the protocols established by the Rocky Mountain Cancer Rehabilitation Institute, which is part of the University of Northern Colorado and has been researching the impact of exercise on cancer patients since 1996.
The cancer exercise program spans all cancer diagnoses with the express goal of attenuating fatigue, improving cardio-respiratory performance, enhancing muscular strength and endurance, and increasing flexibility and balance. We also offer Pilates-based rehab and yoga exercise as part of our treatment options.
The lymphedema management program is targeted to start at the sub-clinical level of lymphedema, which provides opportunity for the lymphatic system and/or the lymphedema condition and its symptoms to be significantly reduced if treatment is administered at this early stage of onset. We work with all oncology-based lymphedema.
Start Down the Road to Recovery
Call Oncology Rehab at 720-306-8261 to make an appointment so one of our therapists can evaluate your needs and develop a plan of care tailored just for you.