Burn treatment and care in South Denver
Swedish Medical Center is proud to be the only Level 1 Trauma Center with a dedicated burn unit in the south metro Denver area. Our comprehensive burn center offers an inpatient critical care unit and operating room, an outpatient clinic and burn camp for children. Our goal is to minimize the lasting impact of burn injuries, and we offer reconstructive treatment services tailored to each patient’s needs. Our program provides 24/7 coverage by physicians who are specially trained in burn and reconstructive care.Learn about more about the specifics of our burn care center through our affiliation with the the Burn and Reconstructive Centers of Colorado
For more information, referrals or questions, call (855) 863-9595.
State-of-the-art burn center
The leading-edge facility at Swedish Medical Center offers two hyperbaric chambers for the treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning as well as the treatment of burns. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy offers significantly improved morbidity and mortality, reduced hospital stay length and a decreased need for surgery. Our facility also offers a hydrotherapy suite for management of burn wounds, which is designed to minimize spread of wound infections.
Take a virtual tour of the Burn and Reconstructive Centers of Colorado.
Patient amenities and services
We provide iPads outside of every patient room with all necessary precautions (isolation, surgery prep, diet, etc.) as well as MyCare electronic patient boards instead of standard white boards to improve communication among caregivers as well as with the patient.
We also offer PlayStation 4s for increased patient entertainment options, digital clocks with temperature readouts, custom colored epoxy flooring and electrified glass at patient room doors, eliminating the need for privacy curtains, which minimizes risk of infection.
Each patient has a private bathroom and bedside dialysis connections.
Outpatient burn clinic
In addition to our specialized inpatient burn unit, Swedish also provides burn care through our outpatient burn clinic. This outpatient center offers a variety of advanced treatments and therapy options for patients of any age with any type of burn injury and is open five days a week for both scheduled and walk-in appointments.
Our clinic is open five days a week for both scheduled and walk-in appointments.
Burn injuries and conditions we treat
We care for patients of all ages, including infants, children, adults and geriatric patients. Conditions we treat include:
- Burns of any degree or depth
- Necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease)
- Steven Johnson Syndrome (skin and mucous membrane disorder)
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis (rare, serious disorder of the skin and mucous membranes)
- Erythema multiforme (skin disorder including lesions)
- Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (red, blistering skin that looks like a burn)
- Fournier’s gangrene (perineum and genital flesh-eating infection)
- Drug reaction with Eosinophilia
- Systemic burn symptoms
Procedures we perform
- Cyst aspiration: a minimally invasive procedure that uses an ultrasound to find and remove fluid from cysts.
- Abscess drainage: during this procedure, a surgeon inserts a needle through the skin into the abscess to remove or drain the infected fluid.
- Burn care tips
- Burn and Fire Prevention Tips
- Map and Directions
- Burn Clinic Intake Form
- Burn Clinic Patient Questionnaire