Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Therapies at Swedish Medical Center
At Swedish, we know an important part of your care is regaining function or independence lost due to your trauma, illness or procedure. Our compassionate and experienced therapy team works closely with you, your physician and other care providers to allow for seamless care throughout your stay. Together, we can help you make real progress toward your recovery goals.
To learn more about the physical therapy and rehabilitation services at Swedish Medical Center, call (303) 788-5000.
Types of therapy we offer
Our therapy team offers expert physical, occupational and speech therapy during your hospital stay and on our acute rehabilitation unit. With a diverse team, we are driven to provide a superb level of care for all patients at Swedish, including:
- Physical therapy: our physical therapists help patients improve their ability to move and function independently. A patient’s individualized plan may include functional mobility training, gross motor coordination, instruction for assistive devices and more.
- Occupational therapy: our occupational therapists help patients improve their ability to perform activities of daily living. Your goal may require therapies like visual perception, fine motor skills, safety and home modification, neuromuscular reeducation, energy conservation, work simplification and more.
- Speech therapy: speech language pathologists help patients with their speech, language, social communication and swallowing disorders. A patient’s plan may include cognitive communication services, training for use of assistive devices, dietary modifications, fluency therapy and more.
Therapies provided during your stay
Patients who are at Swedish for treatment of injury, illness or trauma often benefit from some form of therapy. During your stay, your physician may place an order for physical, occupational and/or speech therapy. Then, our therapists visit with you in your room or invite you to be part of group therapy. This therapy continues during your stay at the hospital until your goals are met and you are discharged.
Extended therapy care
Some patients may benefit from therapy beyond their stay at Swedish. We have several forms of additional, specialized care as part of our therapy program.
Acute rehabilitation unit
Swedish has a 27-bed inpatient rehabilitation unit for patients who need dedicated therapy and continuing physician and nursing care to meet their goals. This unit offers a continuum of care for trauma, neurological (especially stroke) and other rehabilitation support. Our unit provides:
- Interdisciplinary care that includes nursing as well as occupational, physicial and speech and language therapies
- Physiatrists—doctors who specialize in rehabilitation—work closely with other specialty physicians to ensure continuity of care
- Treatment seven days a week for patients with many diagnoses, conditions, diseases and therapy needs
- Individual plan based on the patient’s needs, which often includes intensive therapy for a minimum of three hours per day in accordance with CMS or CARF standards
Extended cancer rehabilitation
Some cancer patients may benefit from extended therapy outside of their hospital stays. For this, Swedish has a close collaboration with Oncology Rehab. This outpatient clinic works to rehabilitate patients from the various effects of cancer treatments and reach optimal quality of life.
Hand therapy for burn patients
As part of the Burn and Reconstructive Centers of Colorado at Swedish Medical Center, our certified hand therapists/occupational therapists provide exceptional hand therapy for patients recovering from burn injuries. Treatments specific to burn care may include measuring custom compression garments, wound care, fabrication of custom orthoses, scar management, edema management, therapeutic exercises and manual therapy to regain motion and strength.
Pelvic floor therapy
The Colorado Comprehensive Pelvic Floor Center at Swedish offers a full-range of therapies for all patients with pelvic floor disorders. Our team works with N2 physical therapy, who see patients on the Swedish campus.